Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Spinning is Like Coffee

I don't remember her name but she is a perennial beauty
Creativity has been on the back burner for a week. We are having a bathroom remodeled, and I agreed to do the painting. That has slurped up every bit of my free time of late.

Today's Project: Spinning and Sewing

I knew I had to get up this morning to craft something. Time alone, just puttering with whatever, seems essential to my mental health.

However, I am not a morning person. I know that. The coffee pot is my only friend at that hour. So I have found that I either need to prep what I am going to work on the night before, or, I can spin myself awake. There isn't much thought required for the spinning process, at least once you have the hang of it. There's very little movement even. In fact, I might've been asleep the whole time...

I finished that silk/merino bobbin last week and had the second one all laid out with the fiber. Easy peasy. I fell into a half hour of spinning. It was good to get the second bobbin started because now it feels like I'm on the downhill side of the project, and that always seems to go faster.

After a bit of spinning, I felt like doing something else. But what? No prepping last night. The tri-loom is staring at me, but half an hour isn't enough.

I spied a little pair of pants on top of my sewing books. Hemming? Meh. But it did need doing, and was about the right size project for my remaining time.  I took these little school uniform pants away from my daughter this winter. They fit her great around the waist but are too short to be considered pants and too long to be capris. Nerdy high-waters, yes indeed.
I started by guessing how much to trim off, leaving enough so the hem wouldn't go right up against that decorative stitching.  I pressed and pinned, then laid the two legs side-by-side, repinned where the lengths weren't the same. It's very scientific.  Then I hunted high and low for my brown thread.

Not in the thread bin, of course. I looked at every spool at least twice, willing it to turn brown. I settled on a nice dark maroon, and sat down to sew. I uncovered the machine and found...my brown thread! All bobbined up with brown and ready to go.

I decided to do a double line of stitching to match the rest of the pants. I think they came out nicely and are ready to wear to school this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment