Monday, April 20, 2015

FIBER FEST! Or, The Fiber Event at Greencastle


Momma Goat and her two-week old twins

Last Friday I did not rise early to craft. Instead, I prepared myself to go to a fiber event in Greencastle, Indiana. I've been to this even several times and it is one I really like.  Bonus one: my daughter is in school so I got to fly solo.  Bonus two: a friend of mine was vending so I got to catch up and sit in his booth.

It was a perfect April day. Sunshine, light breeze. My favorite nut vendor, Yummy Nuts, was there. I might've accidentally bought three bags...


I did really well with my purchases. I'm always overcome with wool fumes at these events. I've tried nearly every aspect of fiber craft at one time or another. I know what I like and what I find tedious. But dammit, when I smell and feel a beautiful fleece I just want to buy it! Never mind that I will never get around to cleaning and processing. Must. Buy.

However, a recent bout of decluttering helped me on this front. I know I don't need a fleece. I love to spin, and I have learned it is much more valuable to me to buy processed fiber so I can get to the "good part", the spinning.  HOWEVER, I also know I have a few several pounds of processed fiber waiting for me to spin it. I refused permission to purchase fiber.

Same with yarn. My stash overfloweth. I have many beautiful yarns. I love touching them, I love the colors. I love knitting with them. But there is more than enough there, I do not need to be purchasing willy-nilly.

I went with two goals: a pretty shawl pin and a new spindle.  I have no shawl pins now. I loaned out my old spindle (which was cheap and I wasn't overly fond of anyway), and was looking to upgrade. I don't spin well this way at all, but it is a skill I want to cultivate for my re-enactment hobby. I'd like to be able to walk around spindling.

I ended up with these items:
Three Bags Full



Pretty Pin

My new spindle

I spent a lovely few hours spinning in my friend's booth, making some headway on the green merino/silk I showed you last week.
Me and my Kromski Sonata

I leave you with my favorite two sights of the day. 
The ingredients of my shake-up. So Pretty!


That just says it all.

If you get a chance to attend a fiber festival, I highly recommend it. It's a delight to all the senses.


No comments:

Post a Comment